Valentine's Day is a notoriously commercial (and, let’s be honest, polarizing) holiday. But that doesn’t mean you have to fall prey to overspending and taking part in wasteful activities. There are plenty of ways to celebrate the Day of Love sustainably, regardless of relationship status! Everyone deserves a little extra love, and there are endless ways to show it. Here are some of our favorite ways to celebrate love for significant others, friends, and ourselves.
Sustainable Valentine’s Gifts
Gifts represent the bulk of waste produced on Valentine’s Day. In fact, it is the second biggest holiday for greeting cards after Christmas! Add in candy wrappers, wrapping paper, decorations, and more – it adds up quickly. But, there are plenty of ways to make your tokens of affection more sustainable.
- Make your gift yourself. Homemade = made with love and sustainable.
- Or, make your gift edible! Delicious and thoughtful, that’s a win-win.
- Opt for Fair Trade chocolate. This means the chocolate is ethically sourced. Chocolate that isn’t Fair Trade can contribute to economic inequality, deforestation, child labor, and more. Look out for this label when shopping!
- Burn non-toxic candles. Many candles contain paraffin wax, which emits particulate pollution when burned. Not exactly romantic.
- Look for eco-friendly flowers. Unfortunately, most of the flowers we buy aren’t even grown in the US and are grown in toxic environments full of pesticides. When you add in the transport to bring them here, their carbon footprint really adds up. Instead, look for flowers at your local farmers market or ask your florist if their flowers are locally grown.
- Use mood lighting and foraged decor instead of store-bought decorations to set the mood.
How to Have an Intentional Valentine’s Day
Don’t let the societal pressures of the day convince you there’s only one way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. There are many ways to make the day meaningful regardless of who you’re celebrating with.
- Mix up a better-for-you drink with something non-alcoholic. We like Aplós for faux spirits, Ghia for something sparkling, and Athletic Brewing for beer.
- Get reflective! Have a meaningful conversation by asking these questions. Or, if you’re going solo, use these prompts for reflection.
- Take a pause. If you’re not a fan of the holiday, give yourself extra grace on the day. If you’re planning something, take a deep breath and try to release any pressure you might be putting on yourself to make it “perfect.” Perfect doesn’t exist, but showing up with presence and an open mind can make a world of difference no matter what your plans are.
- Have a self care moment. Take your Hair & Body Oil and add it to a bath, use it for a massage, do a hair mask…whatever feels good! Put on your favorite music and savor the moment.
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a day of pressure and waste. With a little thought and care, you can make the day meaningful and sustainable at the same time. If you’re still looking for a gift, peruse our plastic-free bestsellers. Our eco-friendly shampoo bars, soaps, and skincare are a great way to show your care for both your people and the planet.